National bowls crown for St Neots quartet
- Credit: Archant
A St Neots quartet are celebrating national glory.
Robbie Coleman, Wayne Bailey, Lewis Baker and Alex Walton captured the men’s fours title at the English Indoor Bowling Association finals in Melton Mowbray.
They claimed a dramatic 22-21 triumph over 2013 champions Bournemouth, secured by a double on the final end, but Walton claimed it was ‘just another game’.
He said: “It is my first national title but, in a way, it was just another game of bowls. I love the game and just want to go on playing it!”
St Neots led throughout the final and held a 19-14 cushion with only three ends to play, but they were pegged back as Bournemouth claimed two shots on end 19 before bagging another four in the penultimate end to go ahead for the first time.
But the St Neots men kept their cool to grab two shots in the deciding end and emerge victorious.
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 3 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 4 Could you give these pets a home?
- 5 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 8 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 9 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 10 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer