Nania’s in dreamland after a fab 2007 ends with Wembley on horizon
Perhaps the most successful sporting side in Huntingdonshire in 2007 was St Ives Town FC, who picked up an incredible three trophies in the space of five days in May. Here, St Ives chairman NEVILLE NANIA gives a review of his club s amazing year. THE yea
Perhaps the most successful sporting side in Huntingdonshire in 2007 was St Ives Town FC, who picked up an incredible three trophies in the space of five days in May.
Here, St Ives chairman NEVILLE NANIA gives a review of his club's amazing year.
THE year 2007 was undoubtedly the most successful year in our club's long history.
For many years St Ives lived in the shadows of the their illustrious and successful opponents Potton, Yaxley and St Neots, but recent performances have suddenly showed a consistency that has propelled St Ives to at least compete with these other clubs as a top side.
You may also want to watch:
How did this happen and what has been key to the improvement? In 2003, I made a bold decision to blood the many successful youth team players who had done so well for me at county and club level.
However, I needed the right type of guys to take these boys on and develop them and in Warren Everdell and Jez Hall I was fortunate to find two of them.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
Warren has superb motivational qualities, and coupled with Jez's management, administration and tactical qualities, they have proved the ideal choice to take these youngsters to new levels and on.
Superb team spirit, a lot of hard work, and key signings made at the right time have seen the side come far since struggling at the bottom of the United Counties League in 2004.
In the past three seasons we have gained promotion from the UCL Division One, had a great first year in the UCL Premier and in 2007 have had what can only be described as an unbelievable season.
In a remarkable five days in May this year we won the Hunts Premier and Hunts Senior cups before lifting the Hinchingbrooke Cup with a 2-0 win against newly-crowned champions Deeping Rangers in the final.
This season the team continue to achieve. Coming into the turn of the year we are in the top six of the Premier Division and are still in five cup competitions - including a record run in the FA Vase, where we have a genuine chance of making a trip to Wembley.
We can only dream of making that become a reality but we can already be proud to have put St Ives Town on the map.