MOTORSPORT: Tomlinson misses out on title after not making the grid for final Lotus Elise Trophy round
- Credit: Archant
Sam Tomlinson missed out on silverware in a tough end to the Lotus Elise Trophy season.
The Papworth driver didn’t have the necessary funds to compete in the final round at Norfolk circuit Snetterton last weekend.
That meant he was pipped to the Rookie Championship crown for drivers competing in their first year in the series. He had to settle for second place in that category and ninth spot in the overall standings.
Tomlinson said: “It has been a mixed season with one podium finish, eight top-five finishes and being the top rookie in 11 of the 14 races that I took part in.
“It was a shame to miss out on my target of the rookie title. That would have been on the cards if I had gained the backing to race in the final round.”
You may also want to watch:
Tomlinson has already been approached by a number of potential teams to return to the grid next year. His chief backers, Skip UK, have also committed to supporting him again.
Tomlinson has also thanked Camclad Steelworks, Manheim Inspection Services and Bruce for their support this season.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 7 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Moving day for Black Cat Radio
- 10 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid