MOTORSPORT: Tomlinson has the package to be successful in the Lotus Elise Trophy, but he’s struggling for reliability
- Credit: Archant
Papworth racer Sam Tomlinson again experienced highs and lows in the latest Lotus Elise Trophy round.
Tomlinson finished fourth and then suffered a retirement in the two races at Donington Park at the weekend.
He said: “Despite it being another mixed round, we have once again showed that we have a quick package. It’s just a case of struggling to find the reliability we need from the car at the moment.”
The Skip UK and Manheim Inspection Services backed driver achieved his best qualifying position of third for the opening race.
But Tomlinson had a poor getaway and dropped down to seventh spot before gradually working his way back up to fourth.
You may also want to watch:
His start to the second race – from seventh place on the reverse grid – was in stark contrast to that of the opening event.
He powered up into second place on the opening lap and was battling for a podium finish when a compression issue forced him into the pits.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
Tomlinson now sits seventh in the overall championship and retains a narrow lead at the head of the rookie standings - for drivers competing in the series for the first time.
The next round is at Brands Hatch on September 2 and Tomlinson will head to the Kent circuit in confident mood.
“It’s a place I know well,” he added. “I managed a podium finish there back in May and hopefully that can be repeated.”