MOTORSPORT: Tomlinson has the package to be successful in the Lotus Elise Trophy, but he’s struggling for reliability
- Credit: Archant
Papworth racer Sam Tomlinson again experienced highs and lows in the latest Lotus Elise Trophy round.
Tomlinson finished fourth and then suffered a retirement in the two races at Donington Park at the weekend.
He said: “Despite it being another mixed round, we have once again showed that we have a quick package. It’s just a case of struggling to find the reliability we need from the car at the moment.”
The Skip UK and Manheim Inspection Services backed driver achieved his best qualifying position of third for the opening race.
But Tomlinson had a poor getaway and dropped down to seventh spot before gradually working his way back up to fourth.
His start to the second race – from seventh place on the reverse grid – was in stark contrast to that of the opening event.
He powered up into second place on the opening lap and was battling for a podium finish when a compression issue forced him into the pits.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
Tomlinson now sits seventh in the overall championship and retains a narrow lead at the head of the rookie standings - for drivers competing in the series for the first time.
The next round is at Brands Hatch on September 2 and Tomlinson will head to the Kent circuit in confident mood.
“It’s a place I know well,” he added. “I managed a podium finish there back in May and hopefully that can be repeated.”