MOTORSPORT: Second is not bad for a first as Sam Tomlinson claims runners-up finish in debut Mini racing season
- Credit: Archant
Papworth racer Sam Tomlinson has clinched an impressive runners-up finish in the final BARC Mighty Mini Series standings.
Tomlinson enjoyed a fine debut season behind the wheel of his Skip UK-backed car - taking three victories in a total of 11 podium finishes.
He said: “Finishing second in the overall standings in my first season is a great achievement.
“It has been a dream to be honest and I’m very excited to already have some good offers for next year.
“I’ll make a decision on which one to take in the next few weeks.”
You may also want to watch:
Tomlinson ended the year on a high with a pair of fine results in the final round of the championship at the Castle Combe circuit, in Wiltshire, last weekend.
The former karting star took second spot in the first race when he also clocked the fastest lap.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Despite starting the second event from seventh place on a reverse grid, Tomlinson quickly worked his way through to the lead.
And when the race was red-flagged due to an incident, he was declared the winner to sign off on a high.