MOTORSPORT: Sam samples the full Silverstone experience for the first time
- Credit: Archant
Sam Tomlinson loved his first taste of racing on the full Grand Prix circuit at Silverstone last weekend.
The Northamptonshire venue was the stage for the fourth round of the Lotus Elise Trophy and Tomlinson continued a pleasing debut campaign in the series – despite seeing his best lap time in qualifying scrubbed out due to exceeded the track limits.
The Papworth-based racer thought he had secured third spot on the grid for the opening race, but was pushed back down to seventh by the stewards’ decision.
He still managed to gain one place in an exciting race to finish in sixth position before following up with a fine fourth in the second outing.
Tomlinson, a former karting star and Mini racer, now sits seventh in the overall standings at the halfway stage of the series and is second in the rookie championship for first-season drivers.
You may also want to watch:
His next outing is at Oulton Park on July 29.
- 1 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 6 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 7 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip