MOTORSPORT: Railton misses out on Ducati Performance TriOptions Cup podium after tough final round at Assen
- Credit: Archant
Jon Railton missed out on a Ducati Performance TriOptions Cup podium place after a disappointing final round of the championship.
The Little Paxton racer dropped to fourth in the overall standings following the closing two races at Dutch circuit Assen last weekend.
Railton, who was suffering from illness, finished 10th in a wet opening contest and then took fifth spot in the second race after conditions improved.
“I came down with a flu bug during last week,” said Railton. “It couldn’t have come at a worse time in all honesty.
“I didn’t feel too bad when qualifying in third place, but the rain certainly didn’t help in the first race.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m usually pretty decent in the wet, but I did not feel comfortable at all.
“I found myself 15th on the grid for the second race after it dried up, but managed to climb up to fifth which wasn’t quite enough.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
“It was an exciting climax with four riders chasing second and third in the championship, but unfortunately it didn’t go my way.
“It’s a shame there wasn’t a more positive end to the season after a big improvement on the previous year.
“The speed was there and I would have comfortably finished second in the championship but for some non-finishes.”
Railton is hopeful of stepping up to the National Superstock 1000 class in 2018 and is also eyeing a possible appearance in a World Endurance Championship round.