MOTORSPORT: Mini man Sam Tomlinson swoops for a second race success of the season
- Credit: Archant
Papworth racer Sam Tomlinson stepped up his BARC Mighty Mini Championship challenge during a fine fourth round last weekend,
Tomlinson, pictured, collected a victory and a second place in his Skip UK-sponsored vehicle at Silverstone to continue a terrific debut season in the series.
He qualified on pole position for the seventh race of the campaign (the first of the weekend) but dropped to fourth spot on the opening lap before working his way back up the order to take the chequered flag and record his second win of the year.
He started in seventh spot on a reverse grid for the second race, but was soon moving forwards again.
He hit the front before being passed by rival Stuart Combes with a lap to go and crossed the finish line in second spot – a position he also occupies in the series standings.
You may also want to watch:
Tomlinson said: “It was another great weekend overall and I’m now only seven points off the series leader.
“The cars feel great and I believe I can take the championship race all the way down to the wire.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
The penultimate round of the championship is at Thruxton over the weekend of September 24 and 25 ahead of an October finale at Castle Combe.