MOTORCYCLING: Pleasing start for Jon Railton as he plots TriOptions title challenge
- Credit: Archant
Jon Railton declared himself satisfied with his start to the new Ducati Performance TriOptions Cup season.
The Little Paxton racer collected fourth and third-placed finishes in the opening two races of the series at Donington Park. He was later promoted to second in the latter outing after a rival rider was disqualified for a technical infringement.
“There were plenty of positives to take from the weekend,” said Railton, who is aboard a new Ducati Panigale 959 this season for the Boast Plumbing Supplies squad.
“I briefly hit the front in the opening race and then led for the first half of the second race.
“That shows I’ve got the speed to be a front-runner this year and we now need to work on maintaining it for a full race.
“I went into the season hopeful that I could compete for race wins and I came away from the opening round confident I can challenge for the championship.”w
The dangers of motorsport were highlighted when a rider was killed in a crash which forced the opening race to be halted after five laps.
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Roman crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 7 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 8 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 9 Wood Farm has become 'rodent heaven' says Anne Marie
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
Mick Whalley, a newcomer to the class from the Isle of Sheppey, was involved in an eight-bike pile-up.
Railton added: “There was a very sombre mood after seeing a fellow competitor sadly lose his life. It highlights the risks involved in the sport we all choose to take part in.”
The series continues at the Brands Hatch Indy circuit over the Easter weekend with Railton sitting second in the overall standings.