Midweek football: Town and Rovers beaten and Saints share the spoils in a thriller

There was no cheer for Huntingdon Town manager Ian Edge again on Wednesday.

There was no cheer for Huntingdon Town manager Ian Edge again on Wednesday. - Credit: Archant

Huntingdon Town’s long losing run now stands at 16 United Counties League Premier Division matches.

Ian Edge’s men slipped to a 3-0 reverse at the hands of AFC Kempston Rovers at Jubilee Park last night (Wednesday).

Town have not picked up a positive result since a draw at Peterborough Northern Star at the end of January.

They have only one more opportunity to end their slump as they travel to Yaxley this Saturday for their final match of the season.

Godmanchester Rovers slipped up 1-0 at basement boys Ely City in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division on Tuesday.

Top-scorer Tom Meechan saw a penalty saved and plenty of other chances also went begging during a defeat that dented Rovers’ hopes of a runners-up finish.

Writing on the club’s website, co-boss Matt Haniver reflected: “How we lost this game of football, I don’t know.

Most Read

“We out-did our opponents in every aspect except the crucial one. Our lack of a cutting edge cost us.”

Haniver made his first appearance of the season only to be forced off by injury while Rovers handed a full debut to youngster Sam Brooks.

A last-gasp goal denied St Neots Youth & Saints victory over their former manager on Tuesday night.

The Town youngsters had to settle for a point from a 4-4 draw against Steve Kuhne’s Olney Town side at the Cozy Stadium in their penultimate UCL Division One fixture of the season.

They fell behind early on before Chae Simons levelled, but they were back in arrears on the stroke of half-time.

A further Olney goal extended their advantage 10 minutes into the second period, but Saints produced a stunning turnaround.

Josh Bickerstaff put them back in the contest before a brace of Dan Hobbs goals enabled them to hit the front, but Olney salvaged a point in the dying moments.