Michael gets it Wright on his St Ives return
- Credit: Archant
St Ives finished 2014 with a flourish courtesy of a second successive home triumph in Midlands Division Three East (South).
Michael Wright made a memorable return from a month out with the decisive try as Northampton Casuals were seen off 22-15.
The teams traded penalties before St Ives bagged the first try as Adam Scott spied a gap to dive over following a spell of persistent pressure on the Casuals line.
That earned an 8-3 interval advantage for the hosts, but the game changed quickly in the second period.
St Ives were pegged back by a try following a quickly-taken penalty and the referee then awarded the visitors a penalty try under the posts.
A converted James Hodgson try hauled St Ives level midway through the half and they could sense victory.
It was duly delivered by Wright before Jim Robinson did the honours with a second successful conversion to add to his early penalty.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 3 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 4 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 5 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 6 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Absent skipper Josh Dear said “I’m so made up for everyone. Selection will be tough for the upcoming cup match versus St Neots.”
Huntingdon ended the year on a low note by failing to score in a 31-0 defeat at Old Northamptonians in Midlands Division One East.