Michael gets it Wright on his St Ives return
- Credit: Archant
St Ives finished 2014 with a flourish courtesy of a second successive home triumph in Midlands Division Three East (South).
Michael Wright made a memorable return from a month out with the decisive try as Northampton Casuals were seen off 22-15.
The teams traded penalties before St Ives bagged the first try as Adam Scott spied a gap to dive over following a spell of persistent pressure on the Casuals line.
That earned an 8-3 interval advantage for the hosts, but the game changed quickly in the second period.
St Ives were pegged back by a try following a quickly-taken penalty and the referee then awarded the visitors a penalty try under the posts.
You may also want to watch:
A converted James Hodgson try hauled St Ives level midway through the half and they could sense victory.
It was duly delivered by Wright before Jim Robinson did the honours with a second successful conversion to add to his early penalty.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
Absent skipper Josh Dear said “I’m so made up for everyone. Selection will be tough for the upcoming cup match versus St Neots.”
Huntingdon ended the year on a low note by failing to score in a 31-0 defeat at Old Northamptonians in Midlands Division One East.