Men's Hockey round-up
Division 3NW St Ives I 5 St Ives II 2 IN a hotly-anticipated tie, Saints I got the better of the second team with a 5-2 win. Against the run of play, IIs took the lead through some strong running from David Boyle, before Is pegged one back through Ian Ba
St Ives I 5 St Ives II 2
IN a hotly-anticipated tie, Saints I got the better of the second team with a 5-2 win.
Against the run of play, IIs took the lead through some strong running from David Boyle, before Is pegged one back through Ian Basser.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Apperley gave Is the lead before half-time with a drag-flick.
Despite the deficit, IIs came out strongly and applied most of the pressure early-on.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
Joe Brennan and MoM John Stamp sealed the win for Is, however, before Basser applied the icing with another goal.
St Ives III 2 Cambridge Nomads III 2
SAINTS were unlucky not to win an enthralling game that ended in stalemate.
St Ives started strongly, their early pressure being rewarded after 15 minutes when James Cahill's deflected shot went in.
Despite pushing forward, the home side failed to add to their lead
They were punished 10 minutes later when Nomads scored from a short corner.
St Ives pushed forward in the second half, scoring through Derrick Pope.
Saints failed to add to their tally and with five minutes remaining they conceded an equaliser that proved to be the last score of the match.
Long Sutton III 2 St Ives IV 2
SAINTS came away with a point after a 2-2 draw with Long Sutton.
St Ives fielded a veteran team, taking the lead after 9 minutes through Rob Brand.
The second half saw St Ives falter in attack, and Long Sutton equalised midway through the half.
Ian Chitty restored the lead for Saints but they were unable to hang on, Long Sutton equalising again with only five minutes left to play.
Saints consolidated their third palce standing in the league but promotion now looks unlikely.