Meechan’s a goal machine - Godmanchester striker nets 30 goals before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Godmanchester co-boss Neville Nania reckons hot-shot striker Tom Meechan could be a big hit at higher levels – and he wants him to prove it with Rovers.
Meechan has enjoyed a spectacular first season with the promotion-chasing Bearscroft Lane club following a summer switch from St Ives.
He has already hit the magical 30-goal milestone with just over half of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division campaign still ahead.
Meechan has found the net five times in the space of two games in recent days as he followed up a League Challenge Cup hat-trick in a 6-2 rout of Mildenhall last Wednesday with a brace as second-placed Rovers won 4-1 at Ipswich Wanderers in the league last Saturday.
Meechan also earned two penalties in the latter game, both of which were converted by the returning Jamie Blackwell, as Rovers remain within touching distance of table-toppers Norwich United.
Nania said: “Tom has to be the hottest forward around at this level at the moment.
“He simply scores goals for fun. He is a natural finisher and a fox in the box.
- 1 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 10 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
“His first touch and movement are excellent and he has great acceleration as well.
“We know that clubs will be looking at Tom due to the number of goals he is scoring.
“But he is well aware of the fact that we don’t want to lose him and that’s why we put him on a contract.
“There is no doubt in my mind he could do it at a higher level and we want that to be with Godmanchester.”
Meechan first dropped a hint of his goalscoring prowess at Cambs League side Over Sports a couple of seasons ago where he averaged more than a goal-a-game.
He was unable to force his way into the team at St Ives last season, but he has exploded back into scoring form since being snapped up by Nania in the summer.
Rovers entertain Brantham on Saturday in their penultimate outing of 2014.