Meechan’s a goal machine - Godmanchester striker nets 30 goals before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Godmanchester co-boss Neville Nania reckons hot-shot striker Tom Meechan could be a big hit at higher levels – and he wants him to prove it with Rovers.
Meechan has enjoyed a spectacular first season with the promotion-chasing Bearscroft Lane club following a summer switch from St Ives.
He has already hit the magical 30-goal milestone with just over half of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division campaign still ahead.
Meechan has found the net five times in the space of two games in recent days as he followed up a League Challenge Cup hat-trick in a 6-2 rout of Mildenhall last Wednesday with a brace as second-placed Rovers won 4-1 at Ipswich Wanderers in the league last Saturday.
Meechan also earned two penalties in the latter game, both of which were converted by the returning Jamie Blackwell, as Rovers remain within touching distance of table-toppers Norwich United.
You may also want to watch:
Nania said: “Tom has to be the hottest forward around at this level at the moment.
“He simply scores goals for fun. He is a natural finisher and a fox in the box.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“His first touch and movement are excellent and he has great acceleration as well.
“We know that clubs will be looking at Tom due to the number of goals he is scoring.
“But he is well aware of the fact that we don’t want to lose him and that’s why we put him on a contract.
“There is no doubt in my mind he could do it at a higher level and we want that to be with Godmanchester.”
Meechan first dropped a hint of his goalscoring prowess at Cambs League side Over Sports a couple of seasons ago where he averaged more than a goal-a-game.
He was unable to force his way into the team at St Ives last season, but he has exploded back into scoring form since being snapped up by Nania in the summer.
Rovers entertain Brantham on Saturday in their penultimate outing of 2014.