McCarthy stars as St Ives close in on summit
- Credit: Archant
St Ives are on the charge in Tucker Gardner Division Two.
They closed to within a point of top spot after securing a second successive win when seeing off Huntingdon & District by four wickets yesterday.
Teenage talent Tom McCarthy was the star performer with ball and bat. He took 3-19 to help restrict Huntingdon & District to 168-8 before top-scoring as St Ives successfully passed their target.
It was no cakewalk though as the hosts were in dire straits at 45-5 early in their reply, but 70 from McCarthy and an unbeaten 51 from Andrew Reid helped them to victory with five balls to spare.
Eaton Socon remain in pole position after being held to a first draw of the season at Newborough.
You may also want to watch:
Carl Baker’s unbeaten half-century helped the leaders to 208-6 but Newborough survived on 183-9 in reply with Jonny Carpenter and Mickey Hay both claiming three wickets.
Kimbolton won at Khalsa by five wickets.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
TUCKER GARDNER LEAGUE
KHALSA lost to KIMBOLTON by 5 wkts
NEWBOROUGH drew with EATON SOCON
Eaton Socon 208-6 (Baker 52no, Hay 40, Humphrey 32)
Newborough 183-9 (Carpenter 3-43, Hay 3-51).
ST IVES beat HUNTINGDON & DISTRICT by 4 wkts
Huntingdon & District 168-8 (N. Ahmed 42no, T. McCarthy 3-19).
St Ives 169-6 (T. McCarthy 70, A. Reid 51no, N. Kumpukkal 4-42).