FENCING: Four successes for Huntingdonshire stars
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdonshire Fencing Club have been on a gold-rush recently.
Felix Mayo was responsible for two of their successes when starring at the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) Regional Championships.
Mayo entered the foil and sabre competitions at the event held at the De Montfort University in Leicester - and completed a memorable double.
He got the better of Nottingham Trent University opponent Josh Helm 15-10 in the foil showpiece and then beat Daniel Twine, of Cambridge University, in a dramatic sabre decider.
Mayo recovered from being 14-12 down to claim three consecutive hits and triumph 15-14.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Robinson tasted glory in the same weekend at the London Region Novice Foil & Epee Open Championships.
Robinson eased through the early epee rounds and overcame George Dunmow (Leon Paul Epee Club) 15-12 in the last four to set up a final clash with Callum Wescott (Central London Fencing Club).
- 1 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 2 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 3 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 4 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 7 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Harrowing video warning from seriously ill 20-year-old who survived Covid
- 10 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
A cagey affair was deadlocked at 8-8 when time expired with a sudden-death extra minute required in which Robinson got the crucial hit.
The Huntingdonshire man had earlier been knocked out in the direct elimination rounds of the foil competition as he finished sixth.
Another success for the club was provided by Nico Ignacio as he won the Cambridgeshire Sabre Championships.
Ignacio proved too strong for the opposition in Cambridge with a 15-13 victory against Will Cleary in the final completing a fine display.
Huntingdonshire Fencing Club meets every Thursday evening at the One Leisure Sports Centre, in St Neots, from 7pm to 10pm.
They offer coaching in all three disciplines - epee, foil and sabre - and further information is available from http://www.huntsfencingclub.co.uk/