ROWING: Successes for St Ives at the Head of the Nene
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rowing Club enjoyed success in their first outing of 2020.
They collected two victories and also recorded a host of other fine finishes while battling tough conditions created by a 40mph-plus headwind at the Head of the Nene event in Peterborough.
Jess Hasted and Rosie Craven powered to victory in the Women's Junior 16 double sculls as they completed the 2,500m course in 15 minutes, 13 seconds.
The Masters 'E' quad of Gary Gilbey Tony Bennett, Paul Ashmore and Huntingdon Boat club man Iain Rickerby then triumphed by more than a minute as they clocked 15 minutes, 24 seconds.
The junior St Ives quad of Sam Hasted, Connor Strong, Alfie Heylen and Rory Crouch also performed well to finish second in the Open category in a time of 13 minutes, 45 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
David Welch was also a runner-up in the Open single sculls while St Ives duo Matt Allen and Tom Starling took third spot in the Men's Junior 16 double sculls.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan