ROWING: Successes for St Ives at the Head of the Nene
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rowing Club enjoyed success in their first outing of 2020.
They collected two victories and also recorded a host of other fine finishes while battling tough conditions created by a 40mph-plus headwind at the Head of the Nene event in Peterborough.
Jess Hasted and Rosie Craven powered to victory in the Women's Junior 16 double sculls as they completed the 2,500m course in 15 minutes, 13 seconds.
The Masters 'E' quad of Gary Gilbey Tony Bennett, Paul Ashmore and Huntingdon Boat club man Iain Rickerby then triumphed by more than a minute as they clocked 15 minutes, 24 seconds.
The junior St Ives quad of Sam Hasted, Connor Strong, Alfie Heylen and Rory Crouch also performed well to finish second in the Open category in a time of 13 minutes, 45 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
David Welch was also a runner-up in the Open single sculls while St Ives duo Matt Allen and Tom Starling took third spot in the Men's Junior 16 double sculls.
- 1 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 4 All UK adults to be offered Covid vaccine by September, says Government
- 5 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 6 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 9 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 10 Man who invited children to use his hot tub breached police order