Marvellous Moynan strike helps St Ives Ladies continue their winning streak
- Credit: Archant
Goalkeeping debutant Lilia Hodge toasted her first St Ives Ladies 1sts appearance with a clean sheet as their march towards title glory continued last Saturday.
The Division Two North-West table-toppers extended their 100 per cent record to eight East Women’s League matches by easing past Pelicans 3-0.
Juliet Moynan laid on the only goal of the first half for captain Helen Clarke, who returned the compliment as Moynan doubled the lead with a firecracker of a strike in the second period.
Vicky Leighton converted a penalty flick with the final touch of the game while Hodge shut-out preserve her first and the team’s third successive shut-out.
Clarke said: “It has been a fantastic start to the season. The girls are working hard for each other and the results speak for themselves.”
St Ives Ladies 2nds maintained their unbeaten streak in Division Three North-West with a 5-2 victory over Haverhill 1sts.
Doris Jackaman and Louisa Scotney opened up a two-goal advantage which was wiped out, but Katie Frear restored the Ives lead before the break.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 4 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 10 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
Jackaman and Frear added further goals in the second period to keep their promotion push on track, but the Ladies 3rds suffered a first defeat of the season as they went down 1-0 to Haverhill 2nds in Division Four North-West (South).
Mike Jenner hit a consolation goal as rock-bottom St Ives Men’s 1sts were beaten 4-1 by Norwich City 2nds in Division Two North of the East Men’s League.
The 2nds were denied a welcome point in their own battle against relegation in Division Three North-West during a dramatic finale against Louth.
The St Ives side were pipped 2-1 after seeing three goalbound efforts cleared during the final passage of play. Tim Jones earlier converted a penalty flick to halve their arrears.
Will Jones, Jon Clarke and Simon Carter were the 4ths goalscorers in a 7-3 loss at Spalding 4ths in Division Five North-West while the 5ths went down 8-2 to St Neots 3rds in Division Six North-West South.
Yaw Kwateng and Chris White hit the Ives goals in a game they briefly led in the first half.