Martin out to tuck into a Rice dish
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
English champion Tommy Martin wants to feast on Rice in his next fight!
Martin has demanded a September showdown against London fighter Charlie Rice. It could potenitally be the first defence of his light-welterweight crown or a British title eliminator.
The 21 year-old extended his unbeaten record to 12 fights with a penultimate-round stoppage of Terry Needham in Liverpool on Friday.
He immediately turned his attention to his next assignment - likely to be at the O2 Arena in London on September 12 - and Rice is the man in his sights.
Martin said: “Rice has been busy slagging me off on social media so it is very personal.
“I honestly believe I can do a number on him and I really hope I get the opportunity.
“I will even take a pay cut if that is what is necessary to make this fight happen.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 7 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 8 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
- 9 Sawtry Village Academy support 'DOGTOBER' initiative
- 10 St Ives cocaine dealer is jailed
“That’s how badly I want it and I don’t care whether it is for the English title or a British title eliminator.
“He used to train in the same gym as me in London, but we’ve never really spoken. I’ve just read the stuff he writes about me.
“We are a similar age and have been in boxing for a similar amount of time, but I have achieved more. It is massively down to jealousy.”
Rice (23) is a former International Masters champion and has lost only one of his 10 fights.