Martin out to tuck into a Rice dish
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
English champion Tommy Martin wants to feast on Rice in his next fight!
Martin has demanded a September showdown against London fighter Charlie Rice. It could potenitally be the first defence of his light-welterweight crown or a British title eliminator.
The 21 year-old extended his unbeaten record to 12 fights with a penultimate-round stoppage of Terry Needham in Liverpool on Friday.
He immediately turned his attention to his next assignment - likely to be at the O2 Arena in London on September 12 - and Rice is the man in his sights.
Martin said: “Rice has been busy slagging me off on social media so it is very personal.
“I honestly believe I can do a number on him and I really hope I get the opportunity.
“I will even take a pay cut if that is what is necessary to make this fight happen.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 4 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 6 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 7 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 8 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
“That’s how badly I want it and I don’t care whether it is for the English title or a British title eliminator.
“He used to train in the same gym as me in London, but we’ve never really spoken. I’ve just read the stuff he writes about me.
“We are a similar age and have been in boxing for a similar amount of time, but I have achieved more. It is massively down to jealousy.”
Rice (23) is a former International Masters champion and has lost only one of his 10 fights.