MARTIAL ARTS: Recruitment consultant Lisa aiming to rule the world in the ring
- Credit: Archant
An Eynesbury woman is bidding to win a world title this Saturday – in the combat sport of Muay Thai.
Lisa Brierley, a 26-year-old recruitment consultant, fights for the WMC 51kg crown in Thailand.
Brierley is already the British and European champion, and has won a dozen of her 14 fights.
But she faces her toughest challenge yet at the True Arena in Hua Hin when taking on defending champion, Ticha.
“I’ve been training really hard and consistently,” said Brierley, who has been out in the Far East for the last three weeks.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve done 7km runs early in the morning, followed by training, and then a second session later in the day.
“I’m feeling strong and motivated, and looking forward to the fight.”
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Brierley has a long background in martial arts after first taking up karate as an eight-year-old.
But, after her family relocated to Eynesbury in 2005, she was unable to find a suitable club in the area.
Brierley was instead steered into Muay Thai by a neighbour and has excelled ever since.
Muay Thai has been provisionally selected as an Olympic sport from 2020 onwards which means Brierley could compete on the biggest sporting stage of all.