MARTIAL ARTS: Master Dawn makes history with St Ives event
- Credit: Archant
A slice of martial arts history was made in Huntingdonshire recently.
One Leisure, in St Ives, was the stage for the first ever all-female World Tang Soo Do Association seminar held on February 24.
More than 100 ladies from as far afield as Scotland and Wales, including many from the Huntingdon and St Ives Tang Soo Do clubs, gathered for the landmark event laid on by locally-based Master Dawn Khan – the highest-ranked female in Europe.
The six-hour seminar featured sessions on traditional Tang Soo Do disciplines such as kicks, sparring and self defence as well as more unusual topics like fan techniques, escrima sticks, ki gong energy training and meditation.
Master Khan said: “It was an amazing day and I felt so proud that a goal and a dream of mine both came true.
“When I first started Tang Doo So 31 years ago, females were a minority in classes with martial arts in general being very male dominated, but over the years there has been a great increase in the number of females taking it up – to such an extent that women and girls make up 60 per cent of some of our classes.
“I had often dreamed of hosting an event to celebrate all the females we now have in our association in Great Britain and thought there was no better time than this year as we have celebrated the 100th anniversary of women being given the right to vote.
- 1 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 6 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 7 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 8 This year's Huntingdon in Bloom launch event has taken place
- 9 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 10 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
“I put forward the proposal last year and it was approved. The thought of having all of our females – from the age of 10 up to Master belt – all training together in our beautiful martial art made me full of excitement.
“Not only did I accomplish a goal and fulfil a dream, but we also made history.”
A cake stall and raffle also raised £750 for MacMillan Cancer Care with Khan appreciative for all those who made cakes and donated prizes.
Anyone interested in classes in the Huntingdonshire area – including one for ladies only – can contact Master Khan on 07427 686186.