Marheineke fumes after Huntingdon go belly up

IT was a bad saturday for both Huntingdon Town and Eynesbury Rovers in Division One of the United Counties League; both sides lost and now have tough Bank Holiday fixtures ahead of them.

Wellingborough Whitworth 4 Huntingdon Town 0

HUNTINGTON Town manager Ricky Marheineke was bitterly disappointed with the way his side fell apart against Wellingborough Whitworth on Saturday – and said: “More than half of my players didn’t give 100 per cent. That can’t happen again!”

To lose 4-0 at Whitworth was a surprise. Huntingdon went into the game third in the table and full of confidence. Yes, they had lost their previous but one game at home to Harborough Town, but that day they did everything but score against the side at the top of the table.

This game followed their marvellous 3-2 win over fellow promotion chasers Olney Town, who were certainly no pushovers.

At Wellingborough, however, Marheineke said everything was wrong: “In the dressing room, during the warm up – and on the pitch.”

“It just felt wrong from the moment we got there,” he said. “I could see things were wrong in the build up and we got exactly what we deserved: a good hiding.

Most Read

“It was a surprise and now we must learn from it and raise our game.”

On Boxing Day Huntingdon are at home and the manager admitted he was pretty pleased to be meeting one of the division’s lesser sides Bourne Town that day.

But after that, they will face second-placed side Bugbrooke St Michaels on New Year’s Eve. “It’s a tough game in a busy period,” he said. “But we have to respond.

“I said to the players if there is anyone who doesn’t think they can do that, they should put their hand up now.

“I can put up with players playing their best and being unlucky – but not players who aren’t trying.”

Eynesbury Rovers 0 Rothwell Corinthians 2

EYNESBURY Rovers were beaten by two first half Tony Lelapi goals on Saturday – as their season continues to stumble into the New Year.

It was Ross West’s 250th appearance for Rovers, but it was a game the captain won’t want to remember for too long.

Teenage goalkeeper Dan Beall made one great save from Rob Goodman after Tom Johnson (twice), Shaun Morris and Mark Marriott had already been off target for the visitors – before Neil Morris’ 18-yard drive went wide for Eynesbury in the 18th minute.

Barry Albone and David Fisk also had chances but Goodman set up Lelapi for his first goal in the 32nd minute. And before half time he had found the net again.

In the second half Jeremy McMurough missed from the penalty spot before Beall stopped Goddman from increasing the visitors’ lead in the final minute when he touched a brilliant shot on to a post and saved a second chance before the final whistle.