NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: St Neots Town bow out of the FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Manager Marc Abbott was left to reflect on a missed opportunity after St Neots Town bowed out of the FA Cup.
Saints were beaten 2-0 by higher-level Biggleswade Town in a first qualifying round replay on Wednesday night after the sides were involved in a four-goal deadlock in the initial clash last Saturday.
Saints were undone by a goal in each half from star Waders man Solomon Sambou in the return on a night when they offered little attacking threat themselves.
Abbott admitted: "We missed a very good opportunity to progress through to the next round after how we played on Saturday.
"However, full credit goes to Biggleswade as they were in full control of the replay for long periods.
You may also want to watch:
"They managed the game very well, were dangerous on the break and we didn't really hurt them."
In fact Abbott's men didn't manage a single on-target attempt during the opening period in which they fell behind after 17 minutes.
- 1 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 2 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 3 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 4 Covid-19 vaccine rolled out at care home in Huntingdon
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 7 Dad uses own mental health struggles to support other men
- 8 New chief operating officer appointed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 10 Letters to the Editor
Saints were much more competitive after the break with Prince Mutswunguma failing to take a good chance to level.
And moments later their deficit doubled in the 61st minute as Sambou, who spent much of his childhood in the Fulham youth set-up, pounced on defensive confusion to pounce from close range.
Substitute Jacob Joseph, who provided a last-gasp leveller in the first clash last Saturday, came closest to a reply for Saints when skimming the crossbar with a smart shot before Sam Bennett sent a late effort harmlessly over.
Saints now return to Southern League Division One Central action tomorrow with a trip to Didcot Town.
They have a re-arranged tie at Kempston Rovers on Tuesday in the opening round of the League Challenge Cup.
The league clash at Biggleswade FC originally scheduled for that date will be re-arranged.