Main St Neots men left with mixed emotions after holding table-toppers

Action from St Neots 1sts' draw against Ely City. Picture: HELEN DRAKE

Action from St Neots 1sts' draw against Ely City. Picture: HELEN DRAKE - Credit: Archant

St Neots 1sts were left with a mixture of disappointment and pride after ending the 100 per cent record of Division Three North-West leaders Ely City last Saturday.

The Saints side roared back from a two-goal deficit at half-time to hit the front before being pegged back by a last-gasp leveller in a 3-3 East Men’s League thriller.

Saints would have been further behind but for a Rob Morris penalty save and that proved to be a springboard for a terrific turnaround.

Adam Maltby halved their arrears before Darren Coles levelled with a penalty stroke and then fired the hosts ahead with a fine finish.

But their hopes of a famous success were dashed when table-toppers Ely struck following a penalty corner in the dying seconds.

St Neots 2nds extended their perfect record to 10 games in Division Five North-West with an impressive 3-0 success at fellow promotion hopefuls Alford. Charlie Gardner struck twice with Jeremy Lermitte grabbing the other goal.

There was an in-house battle in Division Six North-West (South) as the experience of St Neots 3rds proved too strong for the youth of the 4ths in a 5-1 victory.

Most Read

Steve Moore helped himself to four goals and Lee Folbrigg provided the other effort direct from a short corner.

Paul Lawman struck for the 5ths while 13 year-old goalkeeper Christopher Lewis excelled to prevent a heavier defeat.

The 4ths are the leading St Neots team at that level and they preserved their second place with a 2-1 success against Ely City 3rds.

Paul Stubbs and Michael Hornby hit the goals, but they were reliant on a superb Tim Poole save and a last-gasp goal-line clearance by Duncan Talbot.

It was another difficult weekend for the St Ives men’s section as only one of their five teams tasted victory.

Two Cameron Seton goals and an Alex Ginns strike earned a 3-1 success for the 4ths against Cambridge South 4ths in Division Five North-West.

Bottom-of-the-table St Ives 1sts saw their wait for a first Division Two North win continue when they were pipped 4-3 at fellow strugglers Norwich Dragons.

St Ives twice hit the front through James Lloyd strikes before levelling courtesy of a Jamie Sewell effort which arrived while they were down to 10 men as Mike Jenner served his second suspension of the game.

But the hosts hit the decisive goal before Lloyd thought he had completed his hat-trick only for the umpire to award a penalty corner rather than play an advantage.

Ash Brown hit a consolation goal as St Ives 2nds lost 6-1 to Cambridge University 3rds in Division Three North-West while the win-less 3rds were beaten 4-0 by Spalding 2nds in Division Four North-West.

Finlay Hudson found the net but other chances went begging as the 5ths lost 3-1 to City of Peterborough 8ths in Division Six North-West (South).