MacKenzie’s late strike wins it for Neots

ST NEOTS Town made it two wins from two in their new league - but, once again, they left it late.

Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

Woodford United 1-2 St Neots Town

ST NEOTS Town made it two wins from two in their new league - but, once again, they left it late.

Neil MacKenzie’s cool finish two minutes into injury time gave them the points from a game that could have been wrapped up long before the end.

Stefan Moore’s first-half goal was pegged back just after the break by when Saints keeper Michael Duggan allowed a tame shot to squirm from his grasp and roll into the net.

Neots were impressive from the kick-off and had numerous opportunities to go ahead through Moore, Shane Tolley, Junior Konadu and Dan Jacob. They had to wait until 41 minutes for the breakthrough, as Tolley lifted the ball over the defence and the diagonal run of his strike partner Moore, who collected and slipped the ball past Woodford stopper Matt Finlay.

Most Read

The lead didn’t last long, and Ricky Johnson’s mishit shot pulled Woodford level when the Duggan misjudged the ball and saw it roll past him.

St Neots’ confidence seemed to take a hit, and Woodford began to apply pressure.

On 88 minutes Duggan made partial amends for his earlier error when he saved from Glen Hawkins when the striker was clean through on goal.

Just three minutes later Konadu, Lewis Webb and Lewis Hilliard were all involved in the match-winning move to feed MacKenzie, who picked a spot past the unsighted Finlay to claim the winning goal.

St Neots Town: Duggan, Webb, Reynolds (Fordham 82), MacKenzie, Gent, Hope, Hilliard, Konadu, Moore, Tolley, Jacob.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter