Luke selected to take on the world
A TEENAGER from the Huntingdon Olympic Gym will take on the world after being selected to represent Great Britain. Luke Folwell, at 19 already a Commonwealth Games medallist, will represent GB at the Gymnastics World Championships to be held in Denmark ne
A TEENAGER from the Huntingdon Olympic Gym will take on the world after being selected to represent Great Britain.
Luke Folwell, at 19 already a Commonwealth Games medallist, will represent GB at the Gymnastics World Championships to be held in Denmark next month.
The Huntingdon man travelled to Budapest in Hungary last weekend to compete in a final selection meet and helped GB defeat the Hungarian national team by a narrow margin.
Folwell worked solidly for an overall fifth placed finish and third place among his team mates.
Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club head coach Paul Hall, who travelled with the team, said: "Luke is the second male gymnast from the club to be representing Great Britain at a world event and it underlines the depth we have as well as the potential to produce national members that could grace the Olympic stage in six years time. Our task now is to improve our facilities and turn the dream into reality."
Last month The Hunts Post reported how planned expansion of the Gym Club site on Claytons Way in Huntingdon will benefit the club's athletes.
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 3 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 4 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 5 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 6 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 7 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 8 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
Meanwhile, fellow gym member Emma White is waiting to hear whether she will accompany Folwell to the Championships next month. White competes in a final selection event today (Wednesday) that may see her selected.