Luke selected to take on the world
A TEENAGER from the Huntingdon Olympic Gym will take on the world after being selected to represent Great Britain. Luke Folwell, at 19 already a Commonwealth Games medallist, will represent GB at the Gymnastics World Championships to be held in Denmark ne
A TEENAGER from the Huntingdon Olympic Gym will take on the world after being selected to represent Great Britain.
Luke Folwell, at 19 already a Commonwealth Games medallist, will represent GB at the Gymnastics World Championships to be held in Denmark next month.
The Huntingdon man travelled to Budapest in Hungary last weekend to compete in a final selection meet and helped GB defeat the Hungarian national team by a narrow margin.
Folwell worked solidly for an overall fifth placed finish and third place among his team mates.
You may also want to watch:
Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club head coach Paul Hall, who travelled with the team, said: "Luke is the second male gymnast from the club to be representing Great Britain at a world event and it underlines the depth we have as well as the potential to produce national members that could grace the Olympic stage in six years time. Our task now is to improve our facilities and turn the dream into reality."
Last month The Hunts Post reported how planned expansion of the Gym Club site on Claytons Way in Huntingdon will benefit the club's athletes.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
Meanwhile, fellow gym member Emma White is waiting to hear whether she will accompany Folwell to the Championships next month. White competes in a final selection event today (Wednesday) that may see her selected.