Louis leads the way in European Championship qualifying
- Credit: Archant
Louis Smith is closing in on European Championship glory after topping the pommel horse qualification scores.
The Huntingdon Gym Club star enjoyed a fine return to international competition in Montpellier, France yesterday (Thursday).
Smith produced a superbly executed routine to earn a score of 15.800 from the judges and confirm himself as a major contender for a medal in the final tomorrow (Saturday).
Smith said: “This is half the job done, I’m very happy to have made the final.
“Wearing the GBR leotard again is a very proud moment for me and proves all my hard work has been worth it.
You may also want to watch:
“There is always a chance that if I do my routine cleanly then I’m capable of medals in the final.
“That’s all I need to do focus on my routine and let’s see what happens.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
Smith is a three-time European silver medalist on the pommel horse.