Louis becomes the king of Europe
- Credit: Archant
Louis Smith completed a golden return to top-class gymnastics with European Championship glory today.
The Huntingdon Gym Club star produced a score of 15.800 to win the pommel horse title in Montpellier, France.
It is the first European individual crown of his career and was captured in the 25 year-old’s first appearance for Great Britain since the London Olympics of 2012.
Smith said: “It is an unbelievable feeling. This was a massive competition for me to prove I can go all the way and I’m delighted to win it.
“I was so nervous beforehand my routine as it meant a lot to me. It has been a long journey to get back to this point.
You may also want to watch:
“I had a break from the sport after London and I then made the decision to return. I thought it would be silly to waste what I’ve got.
“It’s going to be a very busy summer now as I try to get into the GB team for the World Championships.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
The World Championships are to be staged in Glasgow from October 23 to March 1.