Looking back: Hunts Post Angling in 1951
WITH the weather putting paid to many of this week s fixtures, Fizz and Stan have been trawling the archives, and dug this copy from the Maurice Kausmann s Hunts Post angling column from 1951 which our older readers may enjoy. Christmas Morn CHRISTMAS mor
WITH the weather putting paid to many of this week's fixtures, Fizz and Stan have been trawling the archives, and dug this copy from the Maurice Kausmann's Hunts Post angling column from 1951 which our older readers may enjoy.
CHRISTMAS morning saw an unholy trinity of Cooke, Gill and MAK, plus G Scott endeavour to work up an appetite for the "turkey and pud", and very pleasant it was with the Christmas bells merrily pealing and echoing across the cold, silent Ouse.
Fred Cooke had found an end swim "in his stocking" and thus got the benefit of our bait, but he beat the "experts" well and that mightily pleased our Fred.
You may also want to watch:
Result: 1. FW Cooke 4lb 9 1/2 oz; 2. MA Kausman 3lb 11 1/2 oz; 3. G Scott 3lb 4 oz; 4. A Gill 1lb 14 1/2 oz
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
HAVING successfully recovered from certain gastronomic excesses, a quartet journeyed to Hemingford Backwater on Boxing Day, when small roach were feeding well to maggot.
In a three-hour trial of speed the following fish were caught: G Scott 132; J Peacock 114; M Houghton 100, MAK 65.
Not so bad - 400 fish in 180 minutes - even when some time was wasted when "Sonny" Scott hooked a 3lb pike which we unsuccessfully endeavoured to net. Scott and Peacock both had a 1 1/2 lb bream in their catches.