BOWLS: Hunts prove they’re hot stuff by brushing aside Norfolk in an Adams Trophy scorcher
- Credit: Archant
Hunts produced a sizzling Adams Trophy performance on the hottest day of the year in their penultimate Southern Section outing of the summer.
The locals beat Norfolk 174-158 at Sawtry BC to take overall glory as the sides claimed three rink victories apiece.
The all-Hemingfords trio of Andy Townsend, John Mitchley and Peter Reason triumphed 33-20 with Trevor Dighton (St Ives), Robert Jepson (St Ives) and Dave Richardson (Papworth) gaining a 33-24 verdict.
Mack May (Buckden), Richard Stevens (White Hart) and Kevin Bowers (Sawtry) provided the other Hunts success by a 28-22 margin.
David Peak (Hemingfords), Bunny Johnson (Papworth) and Ian Swannell (Somersham) were beaten 28-33; Colin Bates (Papworth), Richard Foster (Papworth) and Steve Farrant (White Hart) were pipped 24-22; and the all-Buckden rink of Albert Corn, John Hignett and John Waine lost 30-35.
Hunts were beaten 168-156 by Norfolk in the Newton Trophy.
The locals provided two winning rinks as they slipped to defeat at Hemingfords BC.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
Peter Hutchinson (Needingworth), Barry McCormick (Ramsey) and Richard Coles (Ramsey) triumphed 32-29 while the all-Needingworth line-up of debutant Graham Purse, Frank Johnson and Alan Blackley prevailed 26-25.
Tony Aston (Hemingfords), Adrian Cossey (Huntingdon) and Malcolm Dudley (Hemingfords) were pipped by a single shot - 26-27 - while the all-Hemingfords team of Stu Hastings, Merv Rossin and Richard Jolly went down 29-25.
Steve Williams (Hemingfords), Phil Walker (Somersham) and Barry Stevens (Somersham) were beaten 29-25 and the Rob Bradshaw (St Ives), Tony Dymond (St Ives) and Iain Hamilton (Sawtry) trio missed out 29-23.
The two Hunts teams complete their fixtures with home against Lincolnshire this Saturday. The Adams Trophy clash is again at Sawtry BC and the Newton Trophy fixture takes place at Hemingfords BC.
It's a busy weekend with the semi-finals of the Hunts county competitions taking place. The ladies events are on Saturday with the men and mixed matches being held on Sunday at Ramsey BC.