LOCAL FOOTBALL: Turner strikes twice as table-topping Brampton stretch their Cambs League lead
- Credit: Archant
Brampton boss Wayne Ambler hailed the response from his side as they extended their lead at the top of the Cambs League.
The local side eased to a 3-0 success at Comberton United last Saturday to move six points clear in the Kershaw Premier Division.
It provided an immediate return to winning ways following a defeat to title rivals Great Shelford in their previous fixture.
“The pitch at Comverton was absolutely horrendous, but we performed well to come away with three points,” said Ambler. “Considering we had five players out, it goes down as a good result.”
Martin Turner struck with a free-kick to put Brampton ahead in the first half. The hosts was reduced to 10 men before Gareth Owens doubled the advantage in the second period.
You may also want to watch:
And Comberton were reduced to nine men by the time Turner sealed the points from the penalty spot as Brampton made light of the absences of Aaron Wootton (injured), Danny Cain (suspended) and Jack Miles, Sam Miles and Lewis Miller (all on holiday).
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'