LOCAL FOOTBALL: The ‘Cats’ get the cream in county Sunday final
- Credit: Archant
Catworth lifted the Hunts Sunday Cup crown – and it could form part of an honours double.
Bert Huff’s men beat Peterborough side ICA Sports 3-2 in the county showpiece staged at Yaxley last Tuesday.
They did the damage in the opening period with Jack Goodall and Alfie Burton striking twice in as many minutes early on.
Aaron Halliday made no mistake when being left with a free header from a corner to extend Catworth’s advantage on the half-hour mark and only a couple of terrific saves from opposition goalkeeper Stuart Afford prevented them going further ahead.
Catworth saw their lead cut by ICA man Jake Sansby’s classy long-range strike midway through the second half and he then created a second goal late on for Jack Briggs.
You may also want to watch:
But Catworth, who are also chasing the Huntingdonshire Sunday League Premier Division title, held on to claim the silverware.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'