LOCAL FOOTBALL: Opportunity to honour the brilliant people who do so much for the beautiful game
- Credit: Archant
A host of local clubs and fine footballing servants were recognised at the Hunts FA Community Awards.
Nominations were received for the awards earlier in the year before a judging panel, made up of representatives from the Hunts FA and the Huntingdonshire School Sport Partnership, selected the winners - and they were announced at a presentation bash held at St Neots Town FC last Saturday.
Dean Watson, Hunts FA county development manager, said: “We are fortunate to have so many fantastic clubs, leagues and volunteers who help us strive towards providing increased and improves footballing opportunities.
“We know how much work goes into football on a weekly basis and these awards, kindly supported by McDonald’s, allow us to say thank you to those who dedicate so much time to the game cross the county.”
St Ives Rangers were the most successful club as they scooped the FA Charter Standard Community Club of the Year gong.
Martin Barratt, who coaches at that club and Bluntisham Blasters, was named Coach of the Year, while Wendy Chambers scooped the Outstanding Contribution to Community Football prize.
Chambers is a driving force behind the growth of Rangers into one of the biggest clubs in the area, boasting more than 40 teams and also offering disability football, and also serves the Hunts Mini Soccer League.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 4 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 7 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
She was recognised at national level earlier this year when winning the FA Peoples Award for ‘Outstanding Contribution to Football’.
FA Charter Standard Club of the Year:
Somersham Tn Youth.
Other nominees:Park Farm Pumas, ICA Sports
FC, Somersham Town Youth FC
FA Charter Standard Community Club of the
Year:St Ives Rangers.
Other nominees:St Ives Rangers Colts FC, Priory
FA Young Volunteer of the Year:Jack Badcock
(St Ives Rangers).
Other nominees:Ewan Jackson.
Coach of the Year:Martin Barratt (Bluntisham
Blasters and St Ives Rangers).
Other nominees:Shaun Harley, Craig Jackson,
Outstanding Contribution to Community
Football:Wendy Chambers (Hunts Mini-Soccer
League/St Ives Rangers).
Other nominees:Lyn and Malcolm Neale, Jane
Pettitt, Chris Convine and John Pierce.
Best Inclusive Project:Peterborough ICA Sports
and the Iqra Academy.
Groundsman of the Year (Step 1 to 4):Bob Parr
(St Neots Tn).
Groundsman of the Year (Step 7 and below):
Michael Hoy (Somersham Tn)