LOCAL FOOTBALL: Long wait for silverware is over for Needingworth United as Reserves lift cup crown, but then miss out on league title to local rivals Houghton & Wyton Reserves
- Credit: Archant
A 12-year wait for a trophy is over for Needingworth United.
The club’s reserve side brought the barren spell to an end last Friday night when lifting the Reg Haigh & Arthur Peck trophy.
They triumphed 1-0 against Thaxted Rangers Reserves in the final of the Cambs League competition, which was staged at Histon FC.
Tom Sinclair hit the only goal midway through the first half as Brett Swales’ young team secured the crown.
Victory capped a fine debut season for the Needingworth second string, who also won promotion from Division 5B.
They were pipped to the title by Houghton & Wyton Reserves, who didn’t have to kick a ball to climb to the summit last Saturday.
Houghton & Wyton Reserves – another team to enjoy and excellent first campaign - received a walkover in their final fixture when opponents Wicken failed to raise a side.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 5 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 6 Life would be better without mud says Anne Marie Hamilton
- 7 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 10 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
The three points were awarded to Houghton & Wyton Reserves, who had trailed Needingworth Reserves on goal difference.