LOCAL FOOTBALL: Long wait for silverware is over for Needingworth United as Reserves lift cup crown, but then miss out on league title to local rivals Houghton & Wyton Reserves
- Credit: Archant
A 12-year wait for a trophy is over for Needingworth United.
The club’s reserve side brought the barren spell to an end last Friday night when lifting the Reg Haigh & Arthur Peck trophy.
They triumphed 1-0 against Thaxted Rangers Reserves in the final of the Cambs League competition, which was staged at Histon FC.
Tom Sinclair hit the only goal midway through the first half as Brett Swales’ young team secured the crown.
Victory capped a fine debut season for the Needingworth second string, who also won promotion from Division 5B.
You may also want to watch:
They were pipped to the title by Houghton & Wyton Reserves, who didn’t have to kick a ball to climb to the summit last Saturday.
Houghton & Wyton Reserves – another team to enjoy and excellent first campaign - received a walkover in their final fixture when opponents Wicken failed to raise a side.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
The three points were awarded to Houghton & Wyton Reserves, who had trailed Needingworth Reserves on goal difference.