LOCAL FOOTBALL: Late show from Joe as Huntingdon United lift trophy
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon United are celebrating Cambs League cup glory for the second successive season.
And Lee Milton’s men could hardly have lifted the Percy Oldham Memorial Cup – a knockout competition involving teams who play in Kershaw Senior B Division – in more dramatic style.
Joe Bennett hit a last-gasp winner as United completed a late turnaround to beat Lakenheath Reserves 3-2 in a final staged at Newmarket Town FC on Tuesday night.
Bennett also hit a fifth-minute opener, but United found themselves behind after conceding twice in the early part of the second period.
They levelled when Lloyd Howard steered in a corner on the volley with 10 minutes to go.
You may also want to watch:
Bennett then settled the issue in the fifth minute of stoppage time when racing onto a flick and firing past an advancing goalkeeper to ensure United followed up their Creake Charity Shield triumph last season with another piece of silverware.
“I’m immensely proud of this group,” said Milton. “They really showed the character and desire to get the result.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
“I feel it would have been a travesty had we not won the final. Aside from a 15 minute spell after half-time, we dominated the majority of the game.
“It’s always great to win a trophy, but the way I see it we have another 10 cup finals ahead.”
Milton is referring to United’s chase for a second successive promotion. They currently sit second in the Kershaw Senior B standings in their first season at that level after being crowned Division 1B champions last season.
Huntingdon Utd squad: Gary Baillie, Daniel York, Jake Donald, Scott Rogers, Lloyd Howard, Tommy Evans, Carl Foreman, Harry Moran, Darren Blackwell, Jamie Blackwell, Joe Bennett. Subs: Scott Lindsay, Aaron Petty, Dom Everett, Tom Stidwell, Harvey Kitchin.