LOCAL FOOTBALL: Debut-season promotion delight for Needingworth United Reserves and Houghton & Wyton Reserves - but only one of them can be crowned champions
- Credit: Archant
There was debut-season promotion delight for two local teams last Saturday – but only one of them can be crowned Division 5B champions in the Cambs League.
Table-topping Needingworth Reserves earned their rise with a 7-3 success at rock-bottom Chatteris Town B.
Prolific striker James Hodson took his seasonal goal tally to 40 with a brace.
Andrew Chapman also struck twice, with Matthew Houghton, Jake Linley-Brown and Tom Sinclair hitting the other goals.
But Brett Swales’ side could be sitting ducks at the top of the standings.
You may also want to watch:
They currently lead Houghton & Wyton Reserves by virtue of a superior goal difference, but their title rivals still have a game in hand.
And a point for the Houghton & Wyton side against Wicken this Saturday will see them climb to the summit and claim the crown.
- 1 Matt Hancock at Hinchingbrooke Hospital today
- 2 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 3 Check out some of Huntingdonshire's fascinating history
- 4 Man dies following collision near Bluntisham
- 5 New trophies to celebrate achievement at St Neots school
- 6 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 7 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 8 A fund has been set up in memory of Nathan Cowell
- 9 Body discovered in Hartford believed to be missing Nathan
- 10 Interactive map shows Covid Indian variant cases in Huntingdonshire
Houghton & Wyton Reserves beat Huntingdon United Reserves in a local derby clash last Saturday when both sides kicked off with title hopes.
A stunning second-half brace from Brett Dockerill, who found the net with an exquisite lob and classy free-kick, earned the Houghton lads a 3-2 victory.
They had trailed at half-time after initially hitting the front through a Luke Turner header in the second minute.
The defeat for Huntingdon United Reserves meant they had to settle for fourth place in their first campaign.
Needingworth United Reserves can claim cup success on Friday night.
They take on Division 5A side Thaxted Reserves in the Reg Haigh & Arthur Peck Cup final.
The showpiece clash is at Histon FC, 7.30pm.
Papworth missed out on promotion in their final game of the Division 2A season.
They travelled to Great Shelford Reserves in the knowledge that a win would see them climb into second spot, but they had to settle for a 1-1 draw and a fifth-placed finish. James Scott hit their goal.