LOCAL FOOTBALL: Another Hunts Intermediate Cup success for Eaton Socon - but they were really made to work by Somersham Town

Eaton Socon celebrate their Hunts Intermediate Cup triumph. Picture: HUNTS FA

Eaton Socon celebrate their Hunts Intermediate Cup triumph. Picture: HUNTS FA - Credit: Archant

Winning the Hunts Intermediate Cup is becoming a wonderful habit for Eaton Socon.

Mark Spavins’ men retained the county crown with a 3-1 success against Somersham Town in the final on Wednesday night.

The two sides served up an entertaining clash in miserable conditions at the Premier Plus Stadium in St Neots. The outcome remained in the balance until Eaton Socon – who play a level higher than their opponents in the Cambs League – struck twice in the closing quarter-of-an-hour.

“We’re all proud to retain the trophy and it’s the third time in five years that some of the lads have won it after also being with me at Great Paxton in 2014,” said Spavins.

“It was a tough game but we knew that would be the case. Somersham really got in our faces for an hour and made life difficult for us.

“We didn’t think Somersham would be able to keep their work-rate up for full 90 minutes and our superior fitness told in the end.

“We could have had a couple more goals in the closing stages, but that would have been harsh on Somersham.

Most Read

“I’ve got a lot of old mates there and it was a good game played in a good spirit.”

Eaton Socon man Dean Parratt saw the first chance of note blocked before goalkeeper Josh Bonaiti was forced into a smart save at the other end by Paul Knighton.

The breakthrough arrived midway through the opening half as leading Eaton Socon scorer Lee Bassett headed in a cross from fellow frontman Shane Fox.

The same two players combined again moments later, but goalkeeper Jamie Chamberlain came to Town’s rescue when saving well with his legs to ensure their deficit didn’t double.

And they hauled themselves level on the stroke of half-time when Knighton pounced from close range after Bonaiti failed to hold onto a corner.

The game remained delicately poised in the second period and it was only in the last 15 minutes that Eaton Socon took command.

Substitute Luke Swain restored the advantage with a terrific blast from 20 yards and the result was put beyond doubt with two minutes to go when Chamberlain slipped while attempting to deal with a back pass and Fox gratefully slammed in a third Eaton Socon goal.

The victory completed a second successive county double after the club’s ‘A’ team lifted the Hunts Lower Junior Cup last month. Their reserve side won the Hunts Junior Cup last season.

* The Hunts Junior Cup final, involving Division 1B sides AFC Barley Mow and St Ives Rangers, was postponed last night (Thursday) – for the second time in as many weeks - due to an unplayable pitch at St Neots. It has been rescheduled for Wednesday, May 9 at the same venue.