ATHLETICS: Club record, league double and Cambridgeshire call-up as Harrison enjoys a hot streak
- Credit: Archant
Lizzy Harrison became the fastest 100m runner at Under 15 Girls level in Hunts AC history last week.
Harrison scorched to a new club record of 12.90 when victorious in a county development meet at the St Ives track.
She bettered Jasmine Hope’s 12.95 effort set three years ago and still has another full season in this age group.
Harrison had further cause for celebration when being called into the Cambridgeshire squad to run the 100m at the English Schools’ Championships next month. She had previously been included in the 4-100m relay squad but will now tackle the individual event as well.
Harrison was also in fine form in the second East Anglian League fixture of 2018 in Luton recently.
You may also want to watch:
She completed a 100m and 200m sprint double and also formed part of the successful Hunts AC 4-100m relay line-up in the Under 15 Girls section.
Ella Reed was also part of that quartet after earlier claiming long jump victory.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
The Under 15 Girls side one of four Hunts AC squads – Under 13 Boys, Under 15 Boys and Under 17 Men being the others – to finish as runners-up in their team events. The Under 13 Girls were dominant winners of their section.
Other individuals to impress with victories included Under 13 Boys duo Joel Isaac (‘A’ string high jump) and Toby Carroll (‘A’ string discus).
Jamie Francklin was high-jump winner for the Under 17 Men with a 1.75m clearance while Thomas Smith took discus honours at that level.
Spencer Taylor equalled his personal best when winning the 80m hurdles in the Under 15 Boys bracket.
* Seb Darnell picked up a silver medal in the Under 17 Men’s 1500m steeplechase at the county development event – reducing his personal best by close to 15 seconds to 5.10.8 in the process.
* Margit Bialobrzeska broke two of her own club records in the same Southern Athletics League meet.
She set a new veteran women’s best of 28.31m in the javelin at Watford and also sent the discus out to 31.88m.
Bialobrzeska is now sixth in the national W35 javelin rankings and seventh on the discus list.
* Spencer Taylor finished seventh in the East Anglian Schools’ Combined Events Championships with a club-record display.
He piled up 2,449 points to beat the previous Hunts AC best in the Under 15 Boys’ age group of 2,203 which had belonged to Christian Roberts since 2004.