GOLF: County glory for Old Nene
- Credit: Archant
Old Nene Golf & Country Club enjoyed a senior moment to savour recently.
Their six-man team celebrated victory in the Cambridgeshire Area Golf Union Knockout Cup.
Old Nene beat Girton 6-0 in the opening round before seeing off March by a 4-2 scoreline at the quarter-final stage. A 5-1 victory against St Ives followed in the semi-finals before they overcame Brampton Park 4-2 in a final staged at Ely City GC.
The successful Old Nene team was made up of Seniors captain Dennis Ward, Mike Ambrose, Mick Cockman, Barrie Gibbs, Paul Groves and Steve Judge with Dave Crouch proving to be an able replacement for the unavailable Groves in the showpiece clash.
Captain Ward said: "Every match was hard-ought but we managed to get the better results on the day and we are absolutely delighted to win overall."
You may also want to watch:
It's the first time Old Nene have triumphed in the county event, which is played in the 'fourball better ball' format, since its introduction in 2009.
- 1 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 2 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 3 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 4 Covid-19 vaccine rolled out at care home in Huntingdon
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 7 Dad uses own mental health struggles to support other men
- 8 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 9 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 10 Astronomers at Alconbury are searching for signs of alien life in space