GOLF: County glory for Old Nene
- Credit: Archant
Old Nene Golf & Country Club enjoyed a senior moment to savour recently.
Their six-man team celebrated victory in the Cambridgeshire Area Golf Union Knockout Cup.
Old Nene beat Girton 6-0 in the opening round before seeing off March by a 4-2 scoreline at the quarter-final stage. A 5-1 victory against St Ives followed in the semi-finals before they overcame Brampton Park 4-2 in a final staged at Ely City GC.
The successful Old Nene team was made up of Seniors captain Dennis Ward, Mike Ambrose, Mick Cockman, Barrie Gibbs, Paul Groves and Steve Judge with Dave Crouch proving to be an able replacement for the unavailable Groves in the showpiece clash.
Captain Ward said: "Every match was hard-ought but we managed to get the better results on the day and we are absolutely delighted to win overall."
You may also want to watch:
It's the first time Old Nene have triumphed in the county event, which is played in the 'fourball better ball' format, since its introduction in 2009.
- 1 Plans for 120 homes on field next to former animal testing site in Houghton
- 2 Huntingdon firm's oldest employee looking forward to new normal
- 3 Outrage as racist graffiti is daubed on Huntingdon restaurant
- 4 Man with learning disability raises money for Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 5 Police arrest 13 people, seize guns and more than £200k of drugs
- 6 Kings and Queens feature in Kimbolton's history
- 7 From The Archives: A story of our relationship with pubs
- 8 Man's frozen windscreen caused serious crash
- 9 Tribute to ‘inspirational ‘ teacher and family man Dan King
- 10 Charitable efforts in Kimbolton turn 'pain into positivity'