Lewis delivers on his promise
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Saints jumped off the bottom of the table courtesy of a first United Counties League Division One victory of the season.
The youngsters finally sampled success at the 11th attempt as Dan Lewis hit a late winner to sink Bugbrooke 2-1 last Saturday.
Top-scorer Kelvin Osei-Addo had seen an early opener cancelled out just after the half-hour, but Lewis classily settled the contest with 10 minutes to go. He swapped passes with Osei-Addo before stepping away from a defender and finishing at the near post.
Assistant boss Andy Davies, who took charge of Saints, said: “Dan said to me at half-time he would score and he was true to his word.
“We knew we would get something out of the game if we carried on doing the right things and played with belief.
“It’s great to get the first win on the board and it will do wonders for the confidence. I’d seen the lads deflated in the dressing room after the last couple of games so it was great to see them so buoyant after the win.”
Match-winner Lewis was one of five 16 year-olds in the Saints squad along with goalkeeper Evan Jeckells, Claudio Ofosu, Jordan Heywood and Cameron Harris. They are all first-year scholars in the club’s own education programme.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 4 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 10 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
Saints travel to Lincolnshire side Bourne Town this Saturday.