Lewis delivers on his promise
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Saints jumped off the bottom of the table courtesy of a first United Counties League Division One victory of the season.
The youngsters finally sampled success at the 11th attempt as Dan Lewis hit a late winner to sink Bugbrooke 2-1 last Saturday.
Top-scorer Kelvin Osei-Addo had seen an early opener cancelled out just after the half-hour, but Lewis classily settled the contest with 10 minutes to go. He swapped passes with Osei-Addo before stepping away from a defender and finishing at the near post.
Assistant boss Andy Davies, who took charge of Saints, said: “Dan said to me at half-time he would score and he was true to his word.
“We knew we would get something out of the game if we carried on doing the right things and played with belief.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great to get the first win on the board and it will do wonders for the confidence. I’d seen the lads deflated in the dressing room after the last couple of games so it was great to see them so buoyant after the win.”
Match-winner Lewis was one of five 16 year-olds in the Saints squad along with goalkeeper Evan Jeckells, Claudio Ofosu, Jordan Heywood and Cameron Harris. They are all first-year scholars in the club’s own education programme.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Saints travel to Lincolnshire side Bourne Town this Saturday.