HOCKEY: Goals galore for St Ives male sides and success in league and cup for the ladies
- Credit: Archant
There were goals galore for St Ives last Saturday.
The free-scoring 4ths led the way by dishing out a 17-1 drubbing to hosts Wisbech Town 4ths in Division Six North-West (South) of the East Men’s League.
Rob Brand and Jacob Weir claimed hat-tricks on a day when nine different St Ives players found the net. Ben Rowbotham, John Bowles, Jon Wildin and Richard Corbett all struck twice with Alex Berry, Ross Heylen and Simon Dew also finding the net.
The 1sts also enjoyed an emphatic win as they beat Pelicans 1sts 6-2 in Division Two North. Garth Mooney hit a brace with Darren Coles, James Harris, Alex Prestage and Matt Bamford also on target.
Mike McKenna, Tom Smith, Carl Compton and Matt Jago fired the promotion-chasing 3rds to a 4-2 victory against Horncastle 2nds in Division Five North-West, but a 4-1 defeat for struggling 2nds at the hands of Horncastle 1sts prevented a clean sweep of victories. Alex Grange levelled for St Ives in that game.
You may also want to watch:
The St Ives female section enjoyed success in league and cup competitions last weekend.
Their 1sts were 4-2 winners against Pelicans 1sts in Division Two North-West of the East Women’s League. Sally King struck twice before Naomi Chalkley and Jules Griffiths clinched victory.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
A Helen Clarke brace helped the 2nds boost their survival hopes at that level with a 3-1 win against Bourne Deeping 1sts. Jules Jones also netted.
The 4ths battled out a derby draw with Huntingdon 2nds in Division Five North-West (South) as Layla Keating provided their goal.
St Ives made dramatic progress into the second round of the England Hockey Ladies Over 35 Championship last Sunday. They drew 2-2 with Bury St Edmunds before winning 4-3 on penalty flicks as Clarke, Mel Wood, Vicky Leighton and Naomi Chalkley all kept their nerve.