Late leveller and a post cost St Neots Saints victory
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Saints were the only local non-league team to beat the wet weather last Saturday . . . but the combination of a late equaliser and the width of an upright meant they were unable to beat Long Buckby.
They had to settle for a 2-2 draw in Northamptonshire after being pegged back late on, but there was still time for Kelvin Osei-Addo to hit a post.
It meant the match was bookended by shots against the woodwork from Saints after Dan Hobbs had been denied by a post in the opening minute. Hobbs was the architect when Saints took the lead in the 21st minute as his pass was converted by Dan Lewis.
A goal-line clearance from Erhun Nurettin preserved their advantage until six minutes before the break when the hosts levelled. The sides remained deadlocked until 11 minutes from time when Osei-Addo earned and converted a penalty.
Long Buckby were reduced to 10 men with two minutes to go as substitute Ryan Merrey was dismissed (they also had eight players cautioned and members of their management team dismissed) but they overcame their numerical disadvantage to level.
You may also want to watch:
Saints came within millimetres of hitting the front again through Osei-Addo as they had to settle for a share of the spoils.
They remain second-bottom in the Division One standings, but are now four points clear of bottom side Burton Park Wanderers ahead of a trip to Lutterworth this Saturday.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 7 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 Appeal for foster parents to come forward
- 10 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house