Late Bucks hit for seven by high-flying Huntingdon

HUNTINGDON Town manager Ricky Marheineke says he has revised his travelling plans for Saturday’s return fixture at Buckingham Town.

Huntingdon, who are top of the United Counties Division One table and on course for promotion to the Premier Division at the end of the season, beat Buckingham 7-2 at Jubilee Park.

However, several Bucks players got stuck in traffic on their way to Huntingdon and the referee refused to delay the kick-off.

Marheineke said: “We were outstanding in the first half – brilliant – but we were probably helped by the fact that several of their players didn’t turn up until just before the game because of the traffic.

“I said I was happy to knock the game back a bit but the referee wasn’t having any of it.

“So we destroyed them in the first half and they got into the game in the second half.

“They’re not a bad side, Buckingham, so the late arrivals obviously affected them. We will be leaving earlier than we had planned on Saturday. Just in case.”

Most Read

Huntingdon were 4-0 up by half time after Declan Rogers scored from the penalty spot to open proceedings. Dan Drane scored a hat trick – one of his goals was also a spot kick – and Latvian striker Nike Savelnieks got two, while defender Dan Moyes also got on the score sheet. Joel McCormick and Chris Robson were on target for the visitors.

The win means Huntingdon remain top of the UCL Division One table, three points ahead of Harborough Town, but Harborough still have a game in hand.

Fellow Division One side Eynesbury Rovers were unable to do their neighbours a second favour when they lost 2-1 to Harborough on Saturday, after beating third-placed Bugbrooke St Michaels 3-0 just two weeks ago.

Huntingdon’s trip to Buckingham this Saturday will be the first in a run of five away games, the biggest of which will be the all-important clash with Harborough in Leicestershire on April 14.

Huntingdon’s last two games of the season are both at home, the final one against bottom-of-the-table Rothwell Town.

EYENESBURY Rovers can count themselves unlucky after losing 2-1 at home to second-placed Harborough Town.

Paul Dodson’s side put the visitors under massive amounts of pressure and created chance after chance – but only Kevin Ashby, making his debut, was able to find the net for the home side.

It was a surprise when Harborough broke the deadlock through Rob Barnett who slotted home a low cross on 22 minutes.

After that Jeremy McMurrough had a header cleared off the line, Tom Coles had a shot saved, and Lee Bassett headed wide from another corner. Harborough’s second sucker punch came in the 39th minute. Rovers failed to clear a free kick and Robert Goodman headed the ball home from close range.

Eynesbury kept up the pressure in the second half and Ashby scored his goal by heading a home a Dave Fisk cross in the 66th minute.

In stoppage time Eynesbury goalkeeper Rob Mackney denied Barnett a second goal and Martin Anderson struck a post.