Last-gasp woe in six-pointer
Ridgeons League Division One Great Yarmouth 2 Godmanchester Rovers 1 A LATE goal saw Rovers return empty-handed from their long trip to the coast. Great Yarmouth and Godmanchester sat level on points at the wrong end of the table before the clash but it w
Ridgeons League Division One
Great Yarmouth 2
Godmanchester Rovers 1
A LATE goal saw Rovers return empty-handed from their long trip to the coast.
Great Yarmouth and Godmanchester sat level on points at the wrong end of the table before the clash but it was the visitors who looked the better side from the start.
Rovers took the game to the hosts in a series of good moves and tested the home keeper with good efforts in the difficult weather conditions.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 5 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
Godmanchester goalkeeper Ryan Hunt spent long periods as a spectator during the first period such was Rovers' domination in defence and midfield.
It came as little surprise to the meagre crowd that Godmanchester went in front six minutes before the break. Stephen Thompson opened the Goddy account as his well placed shot nestled in the corner of the net. It could have been even better as the same player almost repeated the feat two minutes later.
'More of the same' was the half time instruction to the visitors but Yarmouth came out with much more purpose after the restart. Within three minutes they were level as Mark Thompson beat Hunt with a well placed shot.
Eight minutes from the end, following a goalmouth melee, Jordan Buckenham was on hand to claim the winning goal for Yarmouth and condemn the visitors to their seventh defeat in thirteen outings.
n Godmanchester welcome Downham Town on Saturday and go to Haverhill Rovers in a League Cup match on Tuesday.