Last-gasp woe in six-pointer
Ridgeons League Division One Great Yarmouth 2 Godmanchester Rovers 1 A LATE goal saw Rovers return empty-handed from their long trip to the coast. Great Yarmouth and Godmanchester sat level on points at the wrong end of the table before the clash but it w
Ridgeons League Division One
Great Yarmouth 2
Godmanchester Rovers 1
A LATE goal saw Rovers return empty-handed from their long trip to the coast.
You may also want to watch:
Great Yarmouth and Godmanchester sat level on points at the wrong end of the table before the clash but it was the visitors who looked the better side from the start.
Rovers took the game to the hosts in a series of good moves and tested the home keeper with good efforts in the difficult weather conditions.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
Godmanchester goalkeeper Ryan Hunt spent long periods as a spectator during the first period such was Rovers' domination in defence and midfield.
It came as little surprise to the meagre crowd that Godmanchester went in front six minutes before the break. Stephen Thompson opened the Goddy account as his well placed shot nestled in the corner of the net. It could have been even better as the same player almost repeated the feat two minutes later.
'More of the same' was the half time instruction to the visitors but Yarmouth came out with much more purpose after the restart. Within three minutes they were level as Mark Thompson beat Hunt with a well placed shot.
Eight minutes from the end, following a goalmouth melee, Jordan Buckenham was on hand to claim the winning goal for Yarmouth and condemn the visitors to their seventh defeat in thirteen outings.
n Godmanchester welcome Downham Town on Saturday and go to Haverhill Rovers in a League Cup match on Tuesday.