RUGBY: St Neots continue their charge and ladies side rise into top spot
- Credit: Archant
St Neots continued their Midlands Division Three East (South) surge with a third successive victory last Saturday.
A 32-12 triumph against Stockwood Park at The Common was their most emphatic display of the campaign so far.
Saints were stung by two early tries, but Stuart Whitelaw launched a recovery that was continued by player-coach Johnny Berwick as Saints closed to within two points – 10-12 – at the interval.
And it was all about the home side in the second period as they powered to glory with Callum Austen’s try completing the turnaround.
Whitelaw then laid on another score for Tom Beech and he was also the provider of a fifth Saints try as Joe Woodgate galloped in from halfway.
A super solo effort from Aiden Jordan, who waltzed past four Stockwood Park defender, completed the scoring.
St Neots Ladies have also reeled off a hat-trick of wins to climb to the top of the Women’s South East Division Three East standings.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 4 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 10 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
They triumphed 46-10 at Watford-based Fullerians last Sunday – a resounding victory featuring a treble of tries from Kirsty Wilson.
She touched down twice in the opening half when Leah Coombes, captain Beth Robinson and Katie Bills also went over.
Nicky Barker and Emily Miller added their names to the list of St Neots scorers before Wilson completed their bumper haul with the final try.
* St Neots’ men’s 2nds - the Heathens - enjoyed a high-scoring friendly success against St Ives 2nds - winning 46-39. Director of rugby Tommy McCollin bagged three of the tries.