Ladies putt in a great display
IT WAS third time lucky for the ladies of Abbotsley Golf Club as they played in their third consecutive Jean Wilkinson trophy final. The Abbotsley golfers were up against St Neots in the final but managed to clinch the cup, which was played for at Girton.
IT WAS third time lucky for the ladies of Abbotsley Golf Club as they played in their third consecutive Jean Wilkinson trophy final.
The Abbotsley golfers were up against St Neots in the final but managed to clinch the cup, which was played for at Girton.
In the semi-final, Abbotsley proved too strong for Brampton Park, winning their first four match-ups to claim victory, while St Neots overcame Gog Magog in the other semi.
In an close final, Susan Fenwick won 6&4 against Helen Gillett to give Abbotsley the lead before Anne Chandler fought back to win 2&1 against Judith Ekins to increase the lead.
St Neots golfer Chris Alborn scored her side's first point with a 4&3 win against Marie Bayes. Maureen Alderman from Abbotsley restored the two-point advantage when she defeated June Tibby 4&2.
St Neots again reduced the arrears when Val Knowles beat Lez Rawlings 2&1 but Vivien Ward sealed victory with a 1-up victory against Rita Neal.
- 1 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 2 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 3 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 4 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 7 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 8 Exclusive look at photograph taken at RAF Warboys from IWM's new The Royal Family in Wartime book
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: 100-person laser tag tournament in woods near Huntingdon
- 10 Rush hour rail disruption between Peterborough and London
The final match between St Neots' Joan Cheeseman and Abbotsley's Ann Fiford was not played out, leaving the scoreline 4-2 to Abbotsley.
* Meanwhile, Abbotsley golfer Mary Thompson paired up with Alderman to win the C&H Ladies County Golf Association Autumn Foursomes at Saffron Walden.
The pairing recorded 33 points in both rounds of the Stableford format competition, seeing off the challenge of Saffron pair La Vern and Linda Kelsey.