Lacklustre St Neots are dumped out of FA Cup at Stamford
- Credit: Archant
Stamford AFC 4 St Neots Town 1
St Neots bowed out of the FA Cup as they were comfortably beaten at Stamford in last night’s first qualifying round replay.
The match began with St Neots looking out of sorts and forced on to the back foot by a confident looking Stamford side that included former Saints goalkeeper Paul Bastock.
Jevani Brown latched onto a Delroy Gordon free-kick to bring a point blank save from Alex Archer in the 10th minute, but the respite was brief as, scarcely five minutes later, Stamford were ahead.
Ollie Luto drifted wide right to send a perfectly weighted cross over the square lying St Neots defence and Brown found the net with ease.
You may also want to watch:
Further goals from Sam Mulready and Tom Batchelor put the hosts in command, and matters worsened just before half-time when Taylor Parr was handed a straight red card for a high tackle.
Peter Clark briefly raised hopes of a fightback early in the second half as he lashed home from outside the box, but, less than 10 minutes later, Stamford sealed the victory through Jordan Smith, with a simple finish.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 5 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 6 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding