Kira Reuter doubles up for Junior National tennis title in Bournemouth
KIRA Reuters, St Ives’ rising tennis star, teamed up with Eliz Maloney from Bournemouth at the recent British Junior National Championships and together they won the girls’ 12-and-under title.
The pair, who were seeded No2, defeated Emily Appleton and Jodie Lawrence-Taylor in the final of the competition which took place at West Hants Club in Bournemouth after starting off strongly and capturing the tight opening set 7-5. However, the top seeds fought back to take the second set 6-2.
The title was decided in a thrilling third set match tie-break which was Reuter and Maloney won 12-10 after saving a match point.
Reuter, 11, said: “We feel amazing and we are really pleased, we really wanted the win badly.
“We knew it would be quite close – once we won the first set we dropped our focus and made a few more errors.
“The match tie-break was really tight and we just got the edge.”
Maloney added: “We had to work hard to hold our nerve.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
In the same age-group, Reuter reached the quarter finals despite being a year younger than most of her competitors.