Kira Reuter doubles up for Junior National tennis title in Bournemouth
KIRA Reuters, St Ives’ rising tennis star, teamed up with Eliz Maloney from Bournemouth at the recent British Junior National Championships and together they won the girls’ 12-and-under title.
The pair, who were seeded No2, defeated Emily Appleton and Jodie Lawrence-Taylor in the final of the competition which took place at West Hants Club in Bournemouth after starting off strongly and capturing the tight opening set 7-5. However, the top seeds fought back to take the second set 6-2.
The title was decided in a thrilling third set match tie-break which was Reuter and Maloney won 12-10 after saving a match point.
Reuter, 11, said: “We feel amazing and we are really pleased, we really wanted the win badly.
“We knew it would be quite close – once we won the first set we dropped our focus and made a few more errors.
You may also want to watch:
“The match tie-break was really tight and we just got the edge.”
Maloney added: “We had to work hard to hold our nerve.”
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
In the same age-group, Reuter reached the quarter finals despite being a year younger than most of her competitors.