BOXING: Rising star enjoys excellent first season in the ring
- Credit: Archant
Rising New Saints ABC star, Jon Doe has enjoyed an excellent first season in the ring for the Eaton Socon-based club.
The 11-year-old reached the semi-finals of the National Schools Championships after reeling off a series of six victories in the competition.
That earned him a place at the recent finals weekend, staged in Crawley, where Doe performed with huge credit when being pipped on points by Willam Howard of the famous Repton Boxing Club.
And Doe has another major engagement on the horizon as he competes in the Hull Box Cup from June 21 to June 23.
New Saints also boasted 11 quarter-finalists, three semi-finalists and one finalist at Eastern Counties' level in the past year as they make their mark on the amateur scene.
You may also want to watch:
The club's membership has grown sharply since it's opening in 2015 and New Saints also make a significant impact on the local community thanks to projects supporting those with physical and mental health issues, behaviour problems, and school or police referrals.
New Saints are laying on a show on June 29 at their Bill's Gym base in Little End Road, Eaton Socon. Doors open at noon and tickets are priced at £15 (adults) and £5 (children).
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home