John Wright is our latest Coversure Hunts Post Unsung Hero
JOHN Wright, our latest Coversure Hunts Post Unsung Hero, is celebrating his 25th year as the president of Eaton Socon Cricket Club. Not bad for someone who was asked to help out after a fire destroyed the clubhouse in 1983.
Wright was a contractor and was called in to help out with the renovations. His grandfather George Wright had been secretary of the club back in the 1920s – and the pull was too strong for him to ignore.
“Within three years of the fire I was the president,” said Wright, who was nominated by his friend Chris McKay.
“Most clubs experience highs as well as lows but John has remained to this day leading the club forward within the community,” McKay told The Hunts Post.
Wright is 73 and is very excited by recent developments. “My two granddaughters both play for the club,” he said. “On a Friday night there are loads of kids at the club. We have really pushed things on in the last two or three years.”
You may also want to watch:
McKay told us: “John has worked tirelessly, often with little or no help, to transform the club to what it is today.”
Do you know someone who you consider an unsung hero? If so, nominate them now by going to www.huntspost24.co.uk and clicking on the link on the home page.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
Coversure are also sponsoring this year’s Hunts Post Sports Awards which will be hosted by Hinchingbrooke House Performing Arts on Tuesday July 29.
Nominations are now being received so if you know anyone who deserves recognition at the event, please go to www.huntspost24.co.uk and nominate them now.
The categories are: Sports Personality of the Year, Team of the Year (junior), Team of the Year (senior), Unsung Hero, Lifetime Achievement, School of the Year, Outstanding Achievement (over-18), Outstanding Achievement (Under-18), Disability and Coach/Manager.