Jacobs crackers seal St Neots win
UCL Premier Division --- Blackstones 2-4 St Neots Town --- MORE than a month without competitive football, upheaval in the board room and the resignation and reinstatement of manager Steve Lomas did nothing to alter the form of championship-chasing Sain
UCL Premier Division ---
Blackstones 2-4 St Neots Town ---
MORE than a month without competitive football, upheaval in the board room and the resignation and reinstatement of manager Steve Lomas did nothing to alter the form of championship-chasing Saints at Blackstones.
Two goals from Dan Jacobs, a 40-yard Tony Scully scorcher and an own goal gave Neots the three points in their first competitive fixture since December 12, and extended their unbeaten run to 10 games.
You may also want to watch:
The club has continued to be active off the pitch, with directors Mark Bicknell and Ross Sporle leaving the club in the past week.
Lomas said he was pleased to get back to footballing matters after the long lay-off.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 5 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 6 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 10 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
"Using the all-weather pitch during the bad weather has helped keep the rustiness from the players, and I think it showed on Saturday," he said. "It was a good win for us, and nice to see Dan Jacobs continue his great form since coming back from his injury."
Neots got out of the blocks quickly, reducing Blackstones to chasing shadows, and the visitors went ahead when home goalkeeper Ian Flavell put the ball into his own net from Rob Hughes' shot.
Blackstones were stung into action and replied almost immediately with an equaliser.
A recomposed Saints started to get to grips with the game and Tony Scully fired home a contender for Saints' goal of the season on 34 minutes. Scully found space just inside the hosts' half and from fully 40 yards volleyed a lob over the stranded keeper.
Jacobs' goals either side of half-time killed the game, and Saints began to close the game down. Stones substitute Sam Strange netted a consolation for the home side minutes from time.
St Neots also announced the departure of former assistant manager Steve Kuhne last week, who was approached to take charge of the first team following Lomas' resignation.
A club statement said: "The club would like to thank Steve Kuhne for his commitment, and for his considerable contribution to our results this season, which included the introduction of several new players to the club."
St Neots travel to Bourne Town on Saturday at 3pm.